0

Introductions

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012


21 April

This blog is a blend of food that my mouth encounters or food that I see that I want to eat but can’t have. I’m currently in my final year of high school and I’m based in Bondi, Sydney; home of hipsters and indie bars.

The story behind my name is essentially that it’s a mixture of French and Thai. I’ve taken French for the past 5 years of my life and French cooking has always been a favourite of mine. I wanted to incorporate that side into my blog name but also because my friends and I often satirise the use of the word le when we speak le English. Comme ça. 


The second half of Le Kaow is an homage to my Thai roots. Kaow, written ข้าว in Thai, means rice. However, when we invite people to eat, we usually say, “gin kaow”. This literally translates to eat rice but it’s just another way of saying eating.

I’m not a big cook (though I do like cooking) but I’ve grown up around food for the whole of my life. My mum is Thai which has given me somewhat of a culinary boost. Most nights it’s something different - from somewhere around the world. But, I definitely enjoy a staple Thai meal home cooked; my favourite being Pad See Ew with Tofu and Chicken or Thai Style Crab. My dad was born in South Africa however has a European background. Mum says he cooked for her for the first few times that they dated however that died down quickly. But fair enough; the man does make a mean Paella. I think I share my love for eating with my dad. We’re always eating and wanting to try new things.  I also have a younger brother but let’s be honest; he’s not that interesting. All he does is kill people in games on the internet or pretend to kill people in real life as he is a Brazilian Jiujitsu master. 

In my family it’s always important to have a sitdown dinner and be as a family. There are no tv dinners (we don't have a tv) and there's no reading at the table (my brother thinks he's an exception to this rule). Once a week, we have to go out to dinner together which is the reason I started this - I needed to capture all of our culinary memories. With everyone’s busy schedules it’s important to have a good meal and a good catch up. In fact, I go to the best restaurants with my parents and I’ll probably still always want to go out to dinner with them; because they pay!

This is a picture of my family and I in Japan when we were on our 2 month trip around Asia.




Hope you come back and visit me here at Le Kaow.

Ella xx

Discussion

Leave a response